我爱上了我的iPad. 我们是分不开的. My iPad is my best friend (technologically speaking).
但我经历了一场科技中年危机. I was looking for a sleeker, shinier, faster model. 我吃了那苦果.
A few weeks ago I was reading one of my favorite bloggers, and he was wildly enthusiastic about his new iPad mini. This intrigued me (the grass is always greener, right?), so I started reading other blogs comparing the full size iPad to the iPad mini; most of these blogs led me to believe iPad mini was becoming the go-to device for get-it-done people. 为了进一步研究, I went to a nearby Apple store and asked one of the helpful clerks which device was most popular. He told me iPad mini was way outselling the full size iPad. With that insight, and not wanting to be left in the technological dark ages, I took the plunge.
I was so excited, you know, that Christmas-morning kind of excitement. 我放下了笨重的全尺寸iPad, 把我的应用程序加载到全新的iPad mini上, 在几个小时内, 我完全变性了. My plan was to work with the iPad mini for one full week at which point I knew I’d be convinced and then sell my full size iPad. Well, as John Steinbeck said “the best laid plans ….结果往往不像预期的那样. 试驾五天了, I happened to pick up and start working on my full size iPad, and in an instant I realized how much I missed it. 我承认我觉得有点奇怪. There was so much energy from so many places telling me that iPad mini was superior to the full size version, 我觉得我肯定错过了什么. But five days working with iPad mini, I just wasn’t getting it ….. I wanted to go back to my first love, the full size iPad (iPad 3 to be specific).
As I reflect on my technological mid-life crisis, I came to realize there are five reasons the full size iPad is better for me than iPad mini.
1. The mini iPad is too large to fit in a man’s suit or sport coat pocket, so you still have to carry it like you carry the full size version (women with purses, 我不知道, 我不带钱包). So while it is indeed “mini,” you don’t yet have the full advantage of portability.
2. iPad mini的扬声器较差. 如果你用iPad听音乐, 我经常这样做, you’ll quickly notice that the iPad mini speaker’s is significantly lower quality than on the full size iPad. I’m not an audiophile so I can’t explain why there’s this sonic difference, 但如果你把它们并排测试, 这是我做的, 你会听到一个戏剧性的变化.
3. iPad mini的摄像头没有那么清晰. 我很少使用iPad摄像头, 但为了让大家开心，我测试了我的iPhone 5, iPad 3和迷你iPad摄像头, and I was surprised to see a rather clear qualitative difference. The best quality comes from the iPhone 5 camera, 紧随其后的是全尺寸iPad, 最后是iPad mini. Not that that’s a big deal for me, but it might be for you. 在我自己做了测试之后, 我在网上查了一下, and I found a consensus that my results were accurate.
4. iPad mini的书写体验很糟糕. I have become quasi-addicted to a handwriting app on my iPad; I had read many bloggers who said writing on an iPad mini was easier because you can hold it in your hand much like a traditional note pad. 这对我来说很重要, 事实上, it was one of the key reasons I wanted to make the switch to iPad mini. 令我吃惊的是, writing on iPad mini was actually more difficult than writing on the full size iPad because, 咄, 可写字的表面减少了. You write and scroll, write and scroll, write and scroll. 这不是一个流畅或无缝的体验. But even worse, you CAN’T hold the iPad mini in one hand while you write with the other …. I dare you, try it, you can’t do it for a sustained period of time.
5. iPad mini的显示屏没有那么清晰. Ok, this one is easy to explain though it’s interesting how iPad mini enthusiasts all say “it doesn’t matter, 小屏幕上的像素更多.“但我很抱歉, 只要你习惯了看高清电视, do you really want to watch analog channels again? When I picked up the full size version after using the iPad mini for five straight days, the visual effect of retina display was quite immediately noticeable. 我承认, maybe my 60-year old eyes just need more clarity, 但事实是, the visual sharpness of the full size version is compelling.
To be fair, if I’d never had the full size iPad, I’d be a huge champion of iPad mini. 然而, with the chance to compare the two devices side-by-side for a few days, all I can tell you is I’d take the full size version any day.